Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7

Chicken Enchiladas

We tried this recipe last night - I had to try it because it was from Ginger Daines. (The home chef I look up most to). It was good but not great - but I thought I would change a few things to make it great. (check those changes in parentheses) - but here is the recipe:

1 dozen Flour tortillas
Oil for frying
4 chicken bouillon cubes
3 cups sweet warm cream
1/2 pound cubed Jack cheese
1 Medium onion chopped (I would use green onions - or fry regular onions)
2-3 TBS chopped canned Ortega chiles (maybe a chile with a bit more bite rather than just the green chiles)
2 Cups tomato puree
2 Cups chicken, cooked and chopped
Guacamole - recipe below
Sliced black olives

Mix chicken, onion, chiles, and tomato puree. Fry tortillas in oil ONLY to soften. Dissolve bouillon in warm cream. Dip tortillas in cream mixture and fill with chicken mixture and roll up. Place in a flat casserole dish (9 x 13). Cover with remaining cream mixture. Sprinkle Jack cheese on top. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until heated throughout. Top with guacamole before serving, or let guests garnish their own plates.

Guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
1 TBS chopped chiles
1 Chopped tomato
1/4 cup minced onion
1 TBS lemon juice
Salt Pepper.

I didn't have things for guacamole and I think that would have made a big difference. I am still liking our regular enchiladas, but this has some interesting things - the cream sauce, the tomato sauce inside the enchilada and the jack cheese. I would still suggest you try it!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This just solidifies what a wonder you are dear mother!