Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15

Try a Tri-Tip Steak

Since Book 2 I have also discovered tri-tip steak. I usually buy mine at Costco but Ralphs had a deal this week that we just couldn't pass up. I have two recipes for tri-tip. The first one is from Brenda Carlson and it is demonstrated below - but I also had tri-tip marinated in Yoshida's at our Christmas Enrichment from Marcie Hoopes and it was very very good. Marinade the meat in Yoshida's marinade for a few days then grill the same as below and it is fantastic.
Here is Brenda's recipe. Cover the meat with Montreal Steak Seasoning. As you can tell from the picture above - it is heavily seasoned.
Sear each side on high for 5 minutes. We then put it on the higher rack, turn off one side of the grill, leave the other side on medium heat and then put the lid down and cook the meat for another 20 minutes. This has sometimes not been enough, depending on the thickness of the meat, so I always check it with the meat thermometer - rare - 140 degrees, medium rare 145 and medium 160. After you take the meat off the grill, tent it on a platter with foil and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to reabsorb the juices, then cut against the grain on an angle.

2 comments:

Dad Corn said...

It is definitely the best.

Phoebe said...

Ooh, looks tasty! I have a VERY yummy marinade recipe. I'll have to email it to you.
I'm getting hungry.