Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15

My Love Affair with Red Potatoes!!

I have had a mid-life attachment to red potatoes. I don't know if it is totally the taste - but I do know that I love the recipes where I don't have to peel them. Here are two that are fantastic:
Red-skinned garlic mashed potatoes
What makes these so good is that you boil the potatoes after you quarter them (leave skins on!!!) in chicken broth. I just use a powder to flavor the water but it makes a big difference. Bring mixture to a boil. reduce heat, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain; reserving a little of the cooking liquid. Mash the potatoes with a masher or an electric mixer and you can add some or all of the following ingredients. 2 cloves roasted chopped garlic, 1/4 cup cream cheese, butter, sour cream and parsley, you can add milk or some of the cooking liquid - then salt and pepper to taste. They are wonderful.

Roasted Red Potatoes
This is my other new recipe that I use all the time. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Scrub potatoes and quarter. Drizzle olive oil on baking sheet with sides. Place potatoes on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I just mix these ingredients with my hands in the pan so every potato has some oil on it. Bake with skin side up, flipping potatoes half way through baking so that they brown evenly and bake for about 30 minutes until they are fork tender.

No comments: